- Briefly describe the role of the magnet in the MRI system
and its effect on chicken eggs for taking MRI pictures.
- Why is the MR image black and white?
- Why are MR images usually acquired as "slices"?
- Identify and annotate the eye structure of the developing
chick on any two images from the set of five images you
have for this unit. (The suggested images are those
mentioned in the "Activities" section of Day 3 - Setting Up and
Running an Experiment.)
- Plot a graph of the diameter of eye vs. the age (in days)
of the chick using the five images. Does the size of the
eye increase from day to day? If not, why not?
Is it difficult to get a good measurement of the eye? Why
or why not?
- Based on your initial hypotheses and final
conclusions, what have you learned about the "scientific
method" from this unit? If you have formulated
alternative hypotheses to explain unexpected results,
please write them.
- Bonus question (optional for middle school students)
Which element present in the egg is most useful for
taking MR images? Look up the
Magnetic Resonance Periodic Table
and find out the nuclear spin for this element.
- Page 10 of 12 -