Questions About Classroom
Q: Could you tell me how to construct a candle
for viewing the embryo development or where I could
purchase one? [Question submitted by
A: Here are some starting points for
constructing a candler from an instructor packet by
the Champaign County Cooperative Extension Service
(4-H School Enrichment: Incubation and Embryology,
1996, page 14-15).
Materials that you will need for a candler in
classroom include the following:
- Overhead projector
- Black construction paper or some opaque material
- A small box similar to a pencil box or candy box
The packet lists a procedure for constructing the
candler in the classroom:
- First, cut a hole approximately one inch in
diameter in the center of the black or similar type
- Second, cut holes in the sides of the small pencil
or similar type box.
- Third, now lay the egg on the box for observation
of embryonic growth.
One suggestion. Please get in touch with your county
cooperative extension service for classroom resources
on incubation and embryology.